The John W. Austin Memorial Scholarship Fund has grown over the years and now awards up to nine recipients a one-time scholarship for up to $2,500 each. The application deadline is May 1st and will be accepted online only.
The criteria to be selected for one of the nine scholarships now reflect an emphasis on careers and instruction specific to the trucking industry in an attempt to focus on technical training. See below for the new qualifications and requirements for applicants.
Please join us in spreading the word about this scholarship opportunity for graduating high school seniors next year. If you know of a student who is a senior graduating in the spring, have them bookmark www.mmta.com/jwa and submit an application before May 1st. If you want to contact your school system’s guidance department so they can help promote the scholarship program, you can send them a copy of the promotional letter found HERE.
We can’t think of a better way to honor the memory of our good friend John Austin than being able to deliver educational opportunities to kids who might not otherwise be able to afford it.
The qualifications for a candidate to be considered for one of the nine scholarships include:
- Candidates must be a graduating high school senior seeking higher education or technical training. Selection preference will be given to those pursuing opportunities in areas directly relevant to the motor transportation industry.
- Candidates must provide high school transcripts along with application.
- Candidates must submit an informal narrative answering the following questions:
- What are your career objectives and how will this training help meet those goals?
- How did you become interested in the career you selected?
- Describe how your prospective education is tied to the trucking industry and why it is important?
- Candidates must submit two letters of recommendation from non-family sources, such as a teacher, counselor, supervisor or local trucking company.
- Scholarships are for one year only.
- Scholarships are awarded without regard to race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or religion.
- Scholarships are awarded based on academic achievement, community involvement, and information included in the application submission.
- If selected to receive a scholarship, they must provide their first semester transcripts and proof of enrollment in the second semester prior to March 1st in order for the scholarship to be paid.