Compliance Date 1/6/2020
By now, you should be aware that federal regulations require all motor carriers to register with the drug and alcohol clearinghouse by 1/6/2020. The process requires a computer and only takes a short time if you already have a portal account associated with your USDOT #. If not, it is recommended to open a portal account before registration in the clearinghouse so that the two accounts can be associated.
After 1/6/2020 all motor carriers must conduct a full query of each new hire as part of the investigative inquiry into the driver. Motor carriers must conduct at least a limited query of all employees at least once annually. This means that that function must be performed prior to 1/6/2021 for the first annual query.
As a reminder, owner-operators must meet the requirements of both the motor carrier and driver and must select a C/TPA as part of the registration process. For most of MMTA’s members, this would be Fleet Screen Ltd.
Finally, as a result of the new clearinghouse regulation, motor carriers must amend their drug and alcohol testing policies to reflect the new requirements of 49 CFR Part 382.601(b)(1-12). MMTA has amended our model policy template for members use. This policy may be obtained from our homepage in the services link under drug and alcohol program.
The following is a checklist of the necessary steps to be ready for 1/6/2020:
- If not already done, open a portal account for your USDOT #: https://portal.fmcsa.dot.gov/login make sure to select DACH Admin as one of the allowable roles. Also make sure that portal administrator for motor carrier approves the role change.
- Create an account with the Clearinghouse and link the portal account and clearinghouse account: https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov/
- Issue updated company policy to all drivers (click here for model policy) drivers should sign model policy and receive printed educational material.
- Purchase bundled query plan from the clearinghouse that suits your business model. This feature should be active in November.
- Consider driver training regarding the clearinghouse to make all aware of the reporting requirements and annual query.
More Information can be found in a previous post found HERE.