WHAT WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR:
- This should not create a fiscal note – we only want to clarify existing practice in an effort to simplify compliance and enforcement;
- Despite the tremendous amount of time and resources it takes Maine companies to track, analyze and calculate the 80% for each piece of equipment, we are not asking for the threshold to be changed… in the face of most other states who have made compliance and enforcement much more clearly defined.
- We are not asking to change the exemption application to include financial leases for equipment;
- We are not asking to change the exemption application to also include equipment placed in Intrastate commerce;
- We are not asking for special treatment – the exemption already exists and has not kept up with the changes in the trucking industry;
- We are not asking for any special protection for companies who are trying to avoid paying sales tax on equipment that does not qualify.